Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Still playing with the Villanelle


More playing with the Villanelle form - I'm looking at the Sestina and maybe the Ballade next...(blame Stephen Fry)

While all the world around me hoons
And guzzles caffeinated drinks,
I take a nap most afternoons. 

The radio croons its ‘Junes and moons;’
My mind it gently sinks and sinks,
While all the world around me hoons.

Siestas are, for Spaniards, boons,
(Accompanied by long, sticky drinks) -
They take a nap most afternoons. 

But as a Kiwi, Culture’s tunes
Deflect away from forty winks
While all the world around me hoons.

Far healthier than taking prunes
Or dealing with love handle kinks
Is my quiet nap most afternoons. 

Busyness eventually wounds
And proves to be a faithless minx;
While all the world around me hoons
I take a nap most afternoons.